Friday, August 04, 2006

I took last Friday off work and Laura and I drove to Niagra on the Lake. Laura didn't know it but I was going to propose that day. It was her birthday. I have often said to Laura something to the effect of, "so shall we get married then", she always responds "yes" and asks if it is a proposal. I say "no, maybe, do I look like I'm on one knee?" But this time it was going to be for real. We had discussed it, but as my job is in a perilous position right now, we had decided that it would not be sensible to blow a large chunk of money on a ring and you can't get engaged without a ring. So we were going to wait until things were a little more stable financially and professionally. At least that's what she thought.


I had driven round to her parents house on the Wednesday. I left work a little early, went ring shopping; my wallet is still bleeding and drove over to ask her dad's permission. A little traditional, but a nice touch I thought. Laura's car was parked outside, I cruised past, parked and called her. "I'm just driving home, where are you?" "I'm at my mum and dad's, I'll be leaving in ten minutes." This was a Laura ten minutes, so I stopped by at a florist and picked up some flowers, read Popular Science for quarter of an hour and drove back. The car was still there, the ten minutes now being thirty minutes old I gave up, knocked on the door, handed Laura her flowers and made an excuse about getting lost after leaving the freeway to avoid a jam (which is believable for me). Her dad, Dave, offered me a beer and I suggested we have it in the garden. As I am a filthy smoker, this all seemed natural. While Laura and her mum Judy were in the house chatting about girly stuff, knitting, make-up, Brad Pitt, shampoo or some such I imagine, Dave and I went out for the beer. I asked permission, got the all clear and the plan was underway.


We parked at the little airfield and walked into the shed labeled 'Terminal' and jumped on a National Helicopters Bell 206 Jet Ranger. I have never been on a chopper before, but Laura likes it. (Ooh Matron!). The take off was smooth, it seemed to flutter into the air. Initially I was filled with trepidation, as my only experience of helicopters is from watching American Vietnam war movies. "Charlie don't surf, we're hit, going down, mayday mayday." I chilled a little and thought about the ring in my camera bag. If anything happened and it looked like we were going to die, I'd have to get it out quick, propose and get the ring on her finger before we hit the ground. The scenery was magnificent. We flew over Niagara Falls, the town of Niagara on the Lake and twenty minutes or so later landed safely back at the airfield. Heart still beating wildly from the adrenaline we got in the car and went to the Prince of Wales Hotel.

After lunch at a pleasant cafe' I suggested we take a meander about the town and down to the lake. It is a beautiful place, every house a little different and each a quaint expression of the traditional wooden North American home. Spoilt perhaps only by the cars driving up and down the main street.

Our stroll took us down to the lake shore and we sat on a boulder looking out at the blue horizon. I was a jangle of nerves. We were sat together, I stood up, got down on one knee and asked "Will you marry me?" She said "Yes" as she had so many times to my test drive not really proposing proposals; I took the ring from my pocket. Then the realisation grabbed her cheeks, a brilliant smile erupted; she saw me on one knee in front of her with the ring in my hand and knew that this meant it was really happening. She slipped the ring on, I sat back on the boulder and we kissed.

17 comments:

Cathy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
JASE!!!!!
HUGE HUGS AND KISSES TO YOU BOTH.

P.S. When/where's the wedding?;shall I set the date aside ;)

Unknown said...

Cathy told me to come here to congratulate you :-)

(I'm a push-over)

Congratulations!! How exciting!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Congratulations Jase!! I am so happy for you. She must be a beautiful lady to be marrying such a beautiful man. All the best x

x said...

Congratulations! Great news. I like the fact that you have aked her many times in the past to test the waters. Ahaaha.

jen said...

cathy sent me over -
all I can say is awww...how sweet and congratulations to both of you!

sophie said...

congratualtions to the two of you!

Carlos Guzman said...

Congratulations!! Hope everything is great from now on as well.

Steve House said...

Congratulations. Thats a lovely story. I followed a link from Cathy's blog and was expecting to just say congrats but your story was really emotional.

Stephanie said...

Yay! Congratulations! I hadn't been by in a while because you'd stopped posting, but it turns out that you were off being in love and all those wonderful things.

It's great to read the stories with happy endings, it gives the rest of us hope :)

Hope you're well!

Jase said...

Thank you all, each and every one of you, so very much for your kind words and thoughts.

Cathy you should probably run for Prime Minister.

Lucy thank you, you're right you know.

Anonymous said...

Bout time, sweetheart. Congrats! Hope you knock her up (American style) :-)

Esteban Pacheco said...

Gosh mae!

Sorry for not being there on those bad times to stop you :P. But oh well, now the only thing i can do is to support you.

She looks like a nice girl, behave and be a good kid.

Congratulations to both of you.

Jase said...

Thanks sneaky!

Thanks Mae!

Anonymous said...

Jason,

What on Earth are you doing? Have you finally lost all semblance of normality? I mean "Buying Flowers"!!!

Congratulations on the engagement though, post the date and I'll have a drink with you.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey Jase,

Well done and Congratulations, hopefully she knows what she is getting in to.

All the best

MJ

Anonymous said...

Contrary to the law of matter, where to give more means to have less, in the law of love the more one gives, the more one has.

I hope you're very happy together :)

namaste

Cathy said...

I'd settle for Premier ;)
Congratulations, Jase.
Now go and make beautiful babies...:)