Monday, October 03, 2005


Toronto, still not completely crap for beer!
Yesterday, I met up again with Deidre and Bryan for another night of boozement. We hit C'est What at 67 Front Street. An intimate cellar bar with five ales on hand pumps, which are all rather pleasant indeed. Rather shockingly though, they still think it's acceptable to raise some of the beers they brew with pressurised CO2 or Nitrogen, lending an unnecessary fizz and destructive coarseness to their beers. I noticed the same sad issue at Amsterdam on King Street West, they have ruined what would otherwise be acceptable beers. Anyway after C'est What, we hit the House on Parliament pub in Cabbage Town. It's a great neighborhood place, quaint and very friendly. But they had no real beer, so somewhat depressingly, I switched to Guinness.

A return to Caffe Volo tonight allowed me to acquaint myself with Black Oak Hop Bomb. As you would expect it was very hoppy and quite dry, a little cloudy, which I don't mind, being as I am more interested in substance than looks. I like my beer like I like my women.... err tasty, err 6 per night.... err, strong, dry and ever so slightly sweet. Strike that simile! I like my beer like I like my beer. Anyway, the food there is very pleasant too and it was served up by the deliciously confident and competent Allison who had a refreshingly intimate knowledge of the menu. My visit tonight, very much confirmed my previous experience of the place, the only downer being that you can't rent a room there.

On a different note, out roaming the streets of Toronto today, I saw a street in the financial district turned into New York immediately post the collapse of the World Trade Centre. Dust, litter, NY taxis, cop cars, fire crews, the lot. There was a rather unconvincing jet engine lying around wisely just off set. Toronto is often used as an NYC body double, as it rents out cheaper.

Expect to see these guys on a TV near you sometime soon

No comments: