Tuesday, February 07, 2006

New York, New York...
It's been a busy day, I only got back this morning, so I'll have to tell you all about it later, but for the moment I'll let you know that I have never been to New York before.

It has held a magic for me ever since watching Mouse in Manhattan as a small boy. An episode of the old Hanna Barbera Tom and Jerry cartoon produced in 1945. The Gershwinesque score by Scott Bradley, originally based on Louis Alter's 1928 Manhattan Serenade still haunts me today.


Having now trod a little sidewalk there, I have to say that many years on I think I now understand why Jerry was so excited to get there and also why he was glad to get back home.


It is a place of extremes and of which much hyperbole is fully justified.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I agree. I absolutely love NYC, but am always just as happy to get back out again. I live just close enough. Plus...they have that other baseball team :)

Cathy said...

Jase;
I love the first photo...who took it?
I have never been to NYC, but it is on my top ten list of places to see. What made you want to get out (besides the obvious, or was it simply that the obvious was overwhelming?)...
I am glad you are back, my friend.

Jase said...

Hi Stephanie, I must confess to knowing nothing about baseball, although I went to see a few Padres games when I lived in San Diego, but that was to see the Beach Boys, fireworks and other stuff. NYC though was great.

Hi Cathy,
I set up the shot and a buddy of mine took it. There are a few more photos that I'll be putting up on the next exciting episode. The taxi drivers are mad, parking is impossible, it's far too expensive and there is something not quite home about it, a brutality perhaps.