Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Beer
Well as I predicted the secondary fermentation took 2 days and the brewbox was looking like a beach ball so I had to tip it up and let some air out on both days. This of course disturbed the sediment which meant that to clear it actually took about six days, but on the seventh day God created beer!

I had my little wine glass tester and opened the tap around 11:45am and for the first time it was a beautiful clear copper colour. I sipped it. It was like my first kiss, like the tears of an angel on my tongue, like, like, like a pint of London Pride actually, possibly just a tad sweeter. I couldn't help myself, out with a proper glass, and another. Yes! It was fantastic, by about 4pm I decided it was time to slow down. Truly spectacular. I phoned Dave and told him that karmically he was now probably insured against all sins, in all previous lives and could probably get away with genocide for bringing me this wonderful kit.

The next day I had some more but it was a tad dead. I figure that this is because in the heat of a Spanish summer all the sugar had been fermented in the first two days and I'd had to let a lot of that CO2 out. So daringly I tipped the brewbox up, took the tap out carefully and added another couple of teaspoons of sugar. Two days later and... Result! It was back to fantastic. Unfortunately the day after that the box ran out of beer. I will definitely be doing this again.




No comments: