Monday, September 12, 2005

My Birthday
I had to go into the office to sort out the tickets to Toronto as I've been asked to work there for a week. So I spent the morning of my birthday there. During the afternoon, I hit downtown San Jose with a friend Paul from work and we visited some truly memorable bars, but got back to the hotel for 5pm.

Edelberto, Olga's husband, met me at the hotel and took me to theirs for my birthday party. The food was wonderful. Both multiculturally culinarily it was a truly marvelous spread. Olga cooked some wonderful Aaerbeijani bread and lasagne.
Another new friend, Maki made some sushi. I'm not normally fond of sushi but it was great. Maki left Japan when she was 23 to gain her degree in the UK only to find herself in Costa Rica a few years later. I find the idea of leaving your home country and moving to a country where they don't even use the same aphabet to study and build a new life very impressive.
Another Japanese girl made some patatas rellenas (minced meat wrapped in mashed potato, covered in breadcrums and fried) and Olga's daughter Nana made a birthday cake for me which was very touching. I haven't had to blow out candles on a cake made for me for several decades now.

It warms the spirit to know that there are people in the world who seem to live there lives solely for the purpose of bringing happiness to others. Even more so when it's me they are trying to bring happiness to.

No comments: