Sunday, December 18, 2005


Many of my colleagues in the office in Toronto are Rumanian and prior to working with them, I knew nothing of their homeland. Now, I know almost nothing. What I do know is that it is made up of three countries that joined together in 1600: Transylvania; Wallachia; Moldavia. It is very poor and Vlad the Impaler AKA Count Dracula was born there of a Wallachian family.
I believe that Transylvania needs to achieve independence from the rest of Rumania for the sake of economic regeneration and to reverse the tide of emigration that is denuding the country of the educated middle classes. The passport alone would make it worth moving to.

Transylvanian dentists would be sought the world over, cape and hair oil manufacturers would have to double production just to keep the souvenir shops in stock. That part of the region at least would be back on its way to some of the wealth enjoyed by some of the other post war countries of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire.

My plans to learn Italian by watching all four series of the Sopranos on DVD back to back seem to have faltered. I am falling slowly in lust with the simple, caring approach of the mature, experienced and beautiful Carmela. I am struck evermore with the innocent sophistication and stunning looks of Meadow. Yet I feel that the intelligence and the irresistible simmering sensuality of the gorgeous Dr. Jennifer Melfi will win my heart in the end. However, I know that even thinking about taking one of these babes for my next goomah is gonna get me clipped so I'm gonna go on the lamb.

I think I need to get out more.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Here's hoping you get out:)

Jase said...

Well tomorrow I'm getting out to Costa Rica. Wahay!