Saturday, December 17, 2005

Odds and Ends
I am reading an excellent book at the moment called "Tuesdays with Morrie". It is wonderfully life affirming and has affected me somewhat. It recounts the final conversations between an old dieing man and an ex-pupil. I think reading this book has changed me or at least brought to the fore some of those thoughts that have been hanging around for a while. The things that have hit me the most are; the lingering reminders that it has given me to really pay attention to those around me because my time and thoughts are the most precious things I have and not giving them is not caring; to actively show the people I love that I do because one day I'll be out of time; to care a lot more about even those I don't know, because really under the skin, we are all so very similar.

I have done all my Christmas shopping this year over the internet. Except the presents for Marie back in Costa Rica, who has lost her mobile phone and quite possibly her interest as she never calls and is never in to answer mine. The geographical and emotional distance make me feel quite alone up here and single yet somehow bound.

Two weeks back or so I was in Bar Volo on Yonge Street with three developers I have up here from Central America. The waitress was extremely surly, she stated that she could not bring me another glass of wine and a pint of beer at the same time (I was thirsty OK!) together with the rest of the round as it was against the law. Apparently because you can't serve someone two drinks simultaneously and also apparently rubbish from those I have spoken with. I asked her to come back and say it again wearing a police woman's uniform. She was not impressed and launched into a loud and lengthy monologue on her distress and umbrage in the packed restaurant. So I said, "That's fine but can you come back and say that again wearing a police woman's uniform?" The food was pleasant. When it was time for the desert she described the special, "it's made of sponge, it's a chocolate hollow filled with mousse and cream". I said "I'd like to eat your chocolate hollow". She launched into a loud fit of magnanimous trite hubris that seemed to designed to create embarrassment in a crowded restaurant. When she finished I said, "That's fine, but I'd still like to eat your chocolate hollow". She returned with the bill rather than the desert so I wrote ZERO in the tips section and booked my table for ten the following week somewhere else.

It has been snowing here quite a bit recently and the thirty minute drive back to the apartment took two hours yesterday. The snow blanket is very inconvenient but so very beautiful. I think I'm getting used to the cold. I left the office for a cigarette with a colleague on Wednesday, I didn't bother putting my coat on and remarked that it was a quite a nice day as the sun was out and it was only -10C. Roll on January, the winter and the cold weather.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love that photo. It's perfect. I think I'll have to check out that book, too. Hope you're having a great weekend. Sorry to hear about Marie. Maybe it's nothing, and she is just busy right now.

Jase said...

The black and white photo or the colour winter impression? She is busy, but that's no excuse.