Saturday, January 19, 2008


....... and the weather, I have said it once and I'll say it again, Canada has got too much of it. Coming back here in January is a good reminder of why I want to live somewhere else. It's -8C today falling to -12C tonight and there is a bit of a wind, which means that if you include the wind chill factor it feels fucking cold. I walked to the subway today with my father in-law Dave, I'm not used to the temperature here after 5 minutes my neat and tidy conveniently recessed ears turned blue, after 10 minutes they cracked and fell off. It was so cold my cheeks stung and my teeth hurt. Dave loaned me some ear muffs which I used to clamp the little icey discs of flesh to the sides of my head until they glued themselves back on. I really can't imagine what it must be like to live in a 'cold' part of this country, in Winnipeg this weekend it will get to -34C.

For people such as myself this is all far too cold, although I imagine that the residents of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories are reading about the weather here today and are buying their flights and packing their swimming trunks for some beach time on the shores of lake Ontario. The mean average annual temperature in Yellowknife is -5.4C, tonight there it will fall to -39C after a comparatively baking hot -24C earlier today.

The coldest temperature ever recorded and confirmed in Canada was at Snag in the Yukon, a ghost town now (for obvious reasons), but back in 1947 a thriving metropolis of about 10 natives and fur traders and a dozen or so military staff trying to hold open the little airport on the Northwest Staging route when on February 3rd the temperature dropped to -63C (-81.4F). For the record, the coldest temperature reliably recorded on earth was -89.2C (-128.6F) on July 21st 1983 in the Antarctic by the Russian Vostok scientific research station.

Fortunately, global warming seems likely to make Canada an archipelagic tropical paradise, the tundra will melt, Mounties will politely police the happy populace from airboats and better still, rising sea levels will submerge large parts of Quebec.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely 7C here today; fluffy white clouds drifting over a light blue sky. Ah, the Pac. NW is hell, eh?

Hillary Clinton? Ugh, I feel nauseous.

There, I looked at pics of Evelyn and feel all better now. Cute! Love the faux sheepskin, how luxurious is that? Congrats again!!

And get your self a faux sheepskin hat, a nice Russian style one would look tres chic on your, and would cover up the point as well.

xoxoxo
Karyn

Anonymous said...

Edit:

And get your self a faux sheepskin hat, a nice Russian style one would look tres chic on your *head*, and would cover up the point as well.

Jase said...

Hey Sneaky,

That's real sheepskin and I thought about buying an Ushanka or similar but I'm worried I might look flamboyant. Did I say flamboyant? I meant gay.

I think that Hilary would make a great pres, I'm worried that you may have lived spent too long in Jesus land before moving to the paradise in which you now reside. BO, no there's a set of initials for you, might be OK but really, has no credentials, I'm worried he may be all rhetorical mouth and no trousers. We can of course only argue about the Democratic candidate. Voting republican would be like voting for a monkey, excepting that monkeys have generally more engaging personalities, more fiscal sense, environmental understanding and humanity than Republicans.
j


j