Sunday, January 06, 2008


Well 2007, a year that could in many ways be likened to ducking for toffee apples in a barrel of vinegar, is finally over. Settling down again in the UK has been financially ruinous, my job has had more downs than ups and Laura hasn't been well a lot of the time. On the plus side: we had a healthy baby despite all attempts by the NHS to ruin it by prescribing Laura 1/5 of the medication needed for her hypothyroid condition and repeatedly losing her test results; we got married; things are much better at work, although that may all change in the next month or so as changes emanating from the take-over of my employer become apparent; my bonus in February should clear my UK debts.

2008 will be interesting, if all goes to plan:
  • We'll spend a month in Amsterdam while I attend to some issues in the office there.
  • Evelyn will get chatty and take her first faltering steps.
  • The current government will give up, call an election and lose mightily.
  • England will get independence from Scotland.

I truly despair of this country, additionally, I saw this sign on a shelf at Boots the chemist last week:

Sorry, but I don't think that anyone unable to work out what half of £1 is should be allowed out alone and certainly not allowed out to spend money, I have kitchen utensils that could work this out.

I have decided that I like Crocs. A lot. I bought a pair of black Jekyll Crocs in a Spanish supermarket last year figuring that I needed some as it was so hot and they were only about €7 which seems about the price that they should be. I now wear them in the house as slippers, out the house, to go to the pub and much to the consternation of Laura with socks if it is cold. I ordered a pair of genuine Crocs Caymans today and am waiting for a pair of Mammoth Crocs to arrive in the post so that I can do without the socks and dissing from my better half. My bank balance is a depressing shade of deep scarlet, but my Paypal balance is OK due to my offing some unwanted stuff shortly before Xmas, from which my feet will soon be reaping benefits. Laura hasn't missed out, I bought her some black and white Sassaris and some ruby Alices. There is an old army saying apparently, that goes "spend as much as you can on your boots and your bed, because when you're not in one, you're in the other". Buy some, your feet will love you and they don't actually cost that much, especially if you get a snide pair.

1 comment:

Andytgeezer said...

I have to get one of those ready-reckoners for my classroom! Don't suppose you could shoplift one for me could you?