Sunday, January 08, 2006

A quiet and wild Xmas in Costa Rica. (Part 2)
I went to the theatre with a few friends as another pal Natalia was in it. I haven't enjoyed a show so much in years, more cabaret than anything else and a marvelous melange of comedic skits and dance. The Torres theatre, named after Maria Torres the star of the show by her friend Johanna the owner of the venue, is an intimate place with a small and cozy bar open to the street in downtown San Jose. After the show, we had dinner with the cast. I managed for the first time not to upset the creative and completely gorgeous Natalia, the booze flowed freely and Maria Torres insisted we hugged for a photo in the restaurant. I put my arm around her for the shot and she insisted I clasp her (covered) boobs for the camera. Although boob clasping is not something I am averse to, I am not accustomed to being instructed on the clasping technique for a new and famous pair for the sake of the camera. But that's theatre I suppose. There was much laughter and new friendships were formed. I went to bed late and happy with a smile and some memories for my collection.



Christmas Eve was quiet, a few drinks with a colleague in the evening and a lay in for Christmas day. The Spanish give gifts on January 6th, Epiphany or Kings' Day as the story goes that this is the day that the three kings delivered the presents to baby Jesus, which is why there are twelve days to this holiday. It is only a theory, but it is probable that the three kings were from Costa Rica. On arrival at the stable: "Que mae! Sorry, we're late with the presents, but there was a party you know, otherwise we'd have got here for Christmas." In Costa Rica they celebrate Christmas on the 25th as people do in North America and the UK.

After coffee, I opened the present from my mum, that she gave me in October with the strict instruction, not to open before Christmas. In the afternoon I went over to a friend Matt's for dinner. Matt had 40lb of turkey in the oven and his small pet dog was looking eager and ambitious. I normally end up cooking at these affairs and missing most of the party itself. Matt, very kindly told me to stay out of the kitchen, which I did, except for whipping up a quick white brandy sauce and brandy butter for the Christmas pudding.

The rest of the week in Costa Rica was quiet other than a mixed New Year's Eve. I worked every day. The Sunday before leaving I popped in to Rancho Macho for a beer with a book. I ended up chatting until midnight about cabbages and kings to Monica, a very interesting Uruguayan lady living in the US and vacationing in San Jose with her lovely daughter Kaisa, who was being very brave about a horse riding accident she had had earlier in the day.



Now that the Christmas season is over, alcohol consumption must return to sensible levels, there is a lot to do at work and hangovers don't help. Harold Wilson British Priminister in the 1970's once recounted that his Foreign Secretary George Brown, was brilliant, until four in the afternoon. Once at an embassy reception in Peru, he had asked someone to dance, the recipient of the invitation replied: " You are drunk. That is not the cha cha, that is the Peruvian national anthem and I am not a delectable young thing in red, I am the Cardinal Archbishop of Lima."

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, especially the theatre. So what did your mum give you for Christmas, good boy that you were not to have opened it earlier?

Jase said...

It was a little hardwood box with a brass playing card of a king embedded in it and a pack of cards. I manage projects for a gambling company, although I prefer to say I work in vice! Maybe mum thought it was appropriate. All the time I was a child I used to search out and open my Xmas presents, but then I knew there would always be more on Xmas day. This year I knew there would only be one, so I saved it.

Cathy said...

Sweet Mum and good boy;)
I'll get back to you on the blog matching :)
I have to say that I have never (yet) been successful in matching people up. I thought I had the perfect pair put together last year, and they went out and really hit it off and then it came to an abrupt dead end when the female (friend and distant relative of mine) expressed the fact that she wanted to move in and eventually mother his children. He quickly put an end to any ideas and told her he was advancing his career and focussed on decorating his newly purchased condominium. Now she has moved in with a decent guy (but far below her standards, if you ask me), and the condo guy (who is gorgeous, not that it really matters)has hooked up with a divorcee with a 2 year old. I guess he just wasn't that into her. Too bad really, they would have been beautiful.
Love to you today, mate:)
Cathy

Jase said...

I think that he was probably just being a little insincere and using the carreer/condo as an excuse really.

Failure as a matchmaker won't change my opinion. It's your caring that touches.

luv to you, Cath