Tuesday, January 10, 2006


A reflective day
Yesterday I took a stroll downtown with a colleague from Costa Rica. After a curry on Queen Street and a coffee downtown we walked up Yonge Street and outside a branch of Footlocker was a pile of cuddly toys, letters of condolence and candles. I asked a bystander what had happened and was told of the shooting of Jane Creba on Boxing Day. A fifteen year old girl that was out shopping with her sister and caught in the crossfire of two young gang members exacting the defence of their delicate and juvenile egos with guns on a crowded city street. Six others were injured and her brief, bright, light was extinguished outside a shoe shop, the day after Xmas. Being outside the country for twelve days, I hadn't heard.

I'm going to get controversial here: I look forward to the day that registered drug users can walk into Shoppers Drug Mart and pick up their cocaine or heroine or anything else prescription for a nominal sum made on a corporate farm, refined in a corporate factory; So they won't have to buy their vice from villains, with money stolen from innocent people; So there will be no villains defending territory for the sale of their detergent cut white powders; So there will be no drug wars and no wars on drugs; So that the users only suffer from their using and they are the only people that suffer, unlike today when the cold dead corpse of a fifteen year old girl, lies in the cold wet ground. The only time her smile will be seen again, is in the tearful mind's eye of the people that knew her. And for what........?



We got a cab to a place a little further up Yonge and were pleasantly surprised to find ourselved in the middle of an Irish folk music night. The pub was packed with people of all ages, the musicians had talent and the beer flowed. Normaly they also have two or three real ales (from a hand pump) on tap as well, which is enough to put any pub outside England on my map. The music was full of energy, as were the girls dancing on boards strewn on the floor, heals and toes clattering an ad hoc Riverdance. The atmosphere was about as good as I've ever experienced in a pub anywhere. I met and chatted with a few friendly people and have decided to make it a regular haunt. There was a girl laughing and joking in the corner of the room with a group of her friends, she appeared to be a Thalidomide victim, although there aren't many left now, so maybe it was something else. I remember them from when I was a small boy, sitting on a bus with my mum and feeling both sad and for some reason embarrassed, perhaps almost guilty. The girl had a big pretty smile, slim, shapely legs and long hair. Her left arm tapered out where her elbow should be, without a hand, her right, the same length but with a wrist, thumb and forefinger. She drank her pint through her straw, clasping the glass between forefinger and thumb. She laughed and joked and chatted away with her pals without a care in the world. I went outside for a breath of fresh air. And a cigarette. When I came back in, the whole pub was holding hands and swaying to some frollicksome Irish air. The girl with the big smile and the big physical compromises, saw me, saw that I couldn't get past and wasn't involved, then pulled me into the human chain. She introduced herself, grabbed me with her hand and I swayed and jigged along in time with the rest of them. What a marvelous tribute to the very best of human spirit she is.

I had a nightcap in my local. I was the only customer, I didn't know the barmaid, but we got talking. She is from the Ukraine, a pretty, charming and enigmatic woman, in her early twenties and busy studying for her degree. Her family brought her to Canada because she had contracted bone cancer due to Chernobyl and escaping the radiation was an imperitive. We laughed and talked and I walked home a little while later, a little more reflective, a little happier and a little humbler for my day out.

Maybe Sunday was trying to tell me something.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Would you date the girl with the bug physical compromises?
Just wondering...
I love to read what you write and even better when you post amazing photos (TO).
Bis spater.

Jase said...

I was asking myself the same question and felt self-doubt and guilt and fear of how shallow I may be. I don't know.

When I was 15 I stacked shelves in a shop after school to earn pocket money and there was a girl in a wheelchair that used to come into the shop with her mum, I would talk to them as I would to anyone else. A couple of years later I was drinking in a pub (illegaly being a year under age but tall) and she was there with her mum, we talked. When it was time to leave, I went to kiss her on the cheek, she put her arms around me and she moved her head to kiss me on the lips and in that moment I felt the chemical transmission of so much, hope maybe, desire for a loving relationship perhaps, I'm not really sure. But it scared me. I only lived for my motorcycle then (at that time a little Honda CB125T) and the one I wanted to get next. It was the fear of the responsibility. I often wonder what it would have been like, if I had let go of the fear then.

The question you asked me, I have been asking myself from the moment I noticed her infirmity. I still don't have an answer and the doubt gnaws at me and I wonder if I am really a superficial man. But I know that of the two of us, she is a stronger and probably better person.

Tchus meine liebe freund.

Cathy said...

The fact that you have spent so much time pondering this indicates that you are far from shallow. Someone who was really shallow would have put no meaningful thought into it.

I forgot to ask you who the striking woman in the top photo is.

And I must really spell check what I write frmo now on!

Nicht zu viel arbeiten Heute, mein liebe. :)Tchus

Jase said...

Thanks for your confidence in me.

It's a photo of Jane Creba who was killed on Boxing Day.

I git a priblom with the dern spillchocker too!

Ich arbeite zu leben, nicht lebe, zu arbeiten. Liebe! Tchus

(also please excuse my schoolboy German, I speak two languages fluently, English and Foul, my Spanish is fluid if not fluent)

Cathy said...

Jase;
I just said the work to live not live to work thing to someone less than an hour ago (Auf Englisch, naturlich)...it's my mantra. At least that's my excuse.
Don't need to forgive schoolboy German because mine is schoolgirl...

Stephanie said...

Came by to read this post after your comment in my blog. I have close friends going through great hardships - one ending a long-term relationship, one battling cancer, one with a wheelchair bound younger brother who's in the middle of his teenage years. Aside from the people I actually know, all I'd need to do is turn on the news. I'll be back to happy thoughts & counting blessings in no time, because despite the sorrow (and again, my woes are really very few) there is also great joy. Thanks for your comments on my blog :)