Thursday, January 12, 2006


Shock Motoring News: General Motors make crap cars no-one wants to buy!
A long, long time ago in a place far, far away.......*
The first car I owned was a 1971 Chevrolet Impala. It was a two door, in a lime green that was matt after years of polishing by previous owners. I loved it so much I made a recording of the engine rumble and mailed it back to friends in the UK. I had bought it for a girlfriend, I was only interested in motorcycles but I worked night shift, she worked day shift and taking her to and from work on my Honda was only leaving me 3 hours sleep in the afternoon. To cut a long story short, she left me and the car for a job in San Francisco (mad I know), so I took my Californian driving test and my first steps into the land of 4 wheels. It was handy really, a short time later a woman driving a pick-up without paying attention and without paying her insurance, pulled out in front of me. My femur shattered and I watched my right thigh form a ninety degree bend about halfway between my hip and my knee as I flew over the hood of her truck and tumbled into the on-coming traffic lane. My bike didn't survive the accident so for the first time a car replaced a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport, although they haven't always been that way since.

The North American motor industry, at one time the engine of the US economy is in meltdown. General Motors have announced huge redundancy plans and the closure of plants in response to a profits warning that has seen the share price fall to the lowest point in 20 years. My job as most of you know sees me splitting my time between Costa Rica and Canada. While up here in the North I rent whatever bloatmobile is available from Budget. So far the score is 3-1 to abject failure with the only goal for interest being a Chrysler 300C. My current ride is a Buick Allure. To drive it is much like sitting on a blancmange strapped to a supermarket trolley with one wheel missing. The interior is an ocean of cheap, hard, grey, plastic with plastic wood veneer printed highlights. The first L in ALLURE of the chromed plastic lettering stuck on the trunk so that passers by know what car not to buy next, has fallen off as the 2c piece of sticky tape gave up trying to hold on to it. So I am now driving A LURE, a lure for what is in question. Chevrolet engineers appear to have dispensed with damping in the suspension design and one could almost get seasick driving it. Unsurprisingly the new GM cars are being sold at 10-20% below the sticker price, with the Impala being an inexplicable exception. A leaf through their 'exciting new models' reveals all that needs to be said.


A few years ago, the US motor companies demanded that if the Japanese wanted access to US markets then they ought to build their cars their. The result: Honda Civic Motortrend 2006 Car of the Year, Honda Ridgeline Motortrend 2006 Truck of the Year, Nissan XTerra Motortrend 2006 SUV of the Year and nowadays these are North American cars built with North American labour, so no-one can say that buying a Honda is costing American jobs.

The only cars that the US car manufacturers seem to do well are muscle cars, the Dodge Charger and Ford Mustang being prime examples and trucks, Chevy are behind the others here as well. So if the US motor industry wants to start making cars people want to buy it should. Sort out build quality, realise that if BMW can make a serious car with a 3L diesel engine, then a 4L, 5L or 6L petrol engine isn't necessary, spend more than $10 on the interior, learn about suspension, you shouldn't have to spend $70K to get a car that doesn't roll like a rowing boat in a Tsunami, learn that biggest isn't always best.

European cars are for the most part too expensive for the North American market, but the Japanese have cracked it, the Koreans are doing well and the first Chinese cars should be hitting the US in a few months. It seems a shame that after all these years, the US motor industry is going to die, killed off by the consumers' understandable desire for quality and value when all it would take is a little common sense.

Jase recommendations for US marque car purchase:


*Historical note: I moved to San Diego from London when I was 20 years old and returned to London some 3 years later.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Jase;
Do you have any longterm damage from the automobile accident? It sounds terrible.

Funny images and post, as always! Where do you find these things :)

As a coincidence, I just posted today that I may be in the market for a Hummer out of the "Suvivalist" category (rap star, I am not). Soon I could be the only environmentalist in town driving one; perhaps I'll just stick a Greenpeace sticker on the bumper. That should do it.

Love,
Cathy

Jase said...

The automobile accident I haven't even mentioned yet.... The bike one. I have a six inch scar on the side of my butt where the put the pin in, that ran from my hip to my knee down the centre of my femur. My right leg is a little under half an inch shorter than my left now. It's not noticeable, but I imagine I would walk in circles if left in an unlit dessert.
I needed to learn to walk again quickly. I lived on my own, in a 2nf floor apartment without an elevator. My neighbor and buddy had just moved to Texas, I was mostly on my own. I had the accident late in November and I swore I'd walk before Xmas. The first two times I tried to walk, I felt my femur crush in on itself, it was like when you tread on a matchbox and it holds your weight for about half a second, then collapses. Except it wasn't a matchbox, it was my femur compressing. If I hadn't done that, they'd be perfect. The car accident I had when I was 16, but that's another story, for another blog. There's more to this one too, which I'll tell over time.
But thankfully, I'm still a damn handsome fellow.

The images I make myself, for the most part. On this edition the GTA Somalia is not mine and neither is the blancmange. The Suburban and Laturd are the products of my warped humour.

You can't really want a Hummer. Can't you get a Range Rover or Land Rover LR3? Or even a Toyota Landcruiser?

Love Jase

Cathy said...

Jase;
I am just joking; a product of my warped humour. I wouldn't be caught dead owning a Hummer. We drive smallish fuel efficient vehicles. I despise SUVs.

So sorry to hear about the accidents. My brother-in-law was in a terrible motorbike accident just months before my sister and he were getting married; his knee cap was destroyed and now, a decade and a half later, he still has a large scar and walks with a slight limp. Other than not liking to wear shorts in the summer, it doesn't bother him one bit.

Take Care,
Cathy

Jase said...

The accidents and the way the changed me are so much a part of me, that I couldn't imagine a me that hadn't had them.

I am missing my motorcycles, they are both in the UK right now.

I can't wait to get another one.

luv

jase